Sunday 8 February 2015

New One-Hour Wargames hex grid variant for WSS

Its quite exciting!

I have finished my two Dutch units from my painting experiment and I am very pleased with the result. In the end, the different painting techniques made little difference in this scale and, probably, increased the amount of time taken to complete them. I'll keep it simple next time!
Nice day for a parade
I have finished them off with gloss varnish and some flags from Warflag. The units represent the Ostfriesland Battalion (front) and the Salisch Battalion (rear). I like the toy soldier type look that the gloss gives. This will fit well with my wooden scenery.

Nice sashes guys
I have also made a lot of progress with my latest hex grid version of the One-Hour Wargames rules by Neil Thomas. This time its a version of his Horse and Musket rules for the Spanish Succession. What is really good about these rules is that they require so few troops, being a slow painter isn't a problem!

Like all of my rules and variants, I regard these as being at play test stage. Doing sums, drawing diagrams, rolling dice and pushing bits of cardboard around is great but its only when other people have a crack that you know whether or not they work. You can find the draft here. if you give them a try, let me know how it went.

2 comments:

  1. One thought after an initial read-through - close combat between infantry continues for until one side is routed. The attacker then advances to occupy the defender's hex. I assume that means that you have to mark the unit which initiated the close combat in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaptain. The short answer is yes, some sort of engaged marker will be required. Probably involving more cotton wool. The longer answer is that I wonder how many of these situations will occur. I want to bash through several games of scenario 1 and 2 to get a feel for this and how the rules hang together generally. I'm enjoying your scenario replays and like the 9" square playing area.

    Cheers

    Jay

    ReplyDelete