Sunday 14 January 2024

Lift off...

 


The Fairey Battle is completed at last! I am very pleased with it. I have been learning some scale modelling tricks on this one. It is a lot more complicated than it used to be in the olden days. You might detect some panel lining (even tho its not really a panel lining sort of kit). I have also used Vallejo Decal Fix. Even Captain Beefheart couldn't get these decals off!

I have also done some research on colours. This is K9353 from 218 Sqdn in 1940. Painted in bomber scheme with black undersides and Dark Green/Earth upper sides. I used Vallejo 894 Cammo Olive Green and 921 English Uniform. It looks OK to me, even if a little dark.

I found a couple of useful resources:

  • an on line copy of British Aviation Colours of WWII which gives the official RAF instructions on colour schemes and also includes facsimile colour chips;
  • a site dedicated to Luftwaffe Camouflage Schemes, this includes some excellent diagrams showing the development of scehemes over time with RLM colour references. 

Over Xmas I also got a Spitfire, P40 and Cromwell from the Aldi's range of Airfix starter kits. These kits are really nice and I'm looking forward to making them. Panel lining here we come!

6 comments:

  1. Nice job Jay. Airfix have just released their 2024 catalogue and there are some nice models there, including what seems to have been called ‘shadow bases’, where the base is in the shape of the aircraft that sit above it …. I.e. like a shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, the shadow stands look good. I have my eye on a Mig 17 and possibly a Bf 109 as well. Looking like a good year. Cheers

      Delete
  2. Lovely, I do like a Fairey Battle! I also did mine with a black underside as it looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These kits are always fun to do. You paint effect on the cockpit windows works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have been very closely looking at what others have been doing and trying to emulate their skills. I think I'm getting there! Cheers

      Delete