Sunday 30 May 2021

TIK History - Tick VG?

 

TIK History: I came across TIK History through one of Geordie's very helpful blog posts. If you Google TIK  you will see some interesting discussions about some of his views. To say that he has a particular perspective on economics is an understatement. He would fit in well with Trump supporters who view the NHS as the work of the communist devil.

Having said that, and make you own minds up if you wish to form an opinion, is it worth watching some of his output?

The short answer is yes. I have watched all 23 episodes so far of Battlestorm Stalingrad. I thought they were really good and educational:

  • TIK does pretty well at presenting and his style goes down OK with me.
  • The story is narrated through animated maps, these are detailed (look like US Army topographic maps), zoomable and show their scale.
  • Statements are supported by references.
  • The narrative really does create an insightful picture of what actually happened.
  • The main source for the series is Glantz's Stalingrad trilogy supplemented by the current wave of new histories and is well researched.
This series has done a few things for me:
  • It has reminded me I need to refresh my library and I have bought the latest edition of When Titans Clashed by Glantz and read it straight through. I have a few other updated books to get as well.
  • It has rekindled my interest in the Eastern Front which is a very nice change of scenery.
  • The visual representation of the campaign shows what I knew, but didn't always realise was so important. The Red Army contested the battle through endless desperate defences and multiple continuous counter attacks. This brings to life the granularity of the fighting which, to my mind, no other medium has managed to do.
  • There are great learning points for wargames.
So, I'm a happy customer but always careful if I think someone is dripping something in my ear!

STALDATA: This is a website and You Tube channel run by the French historian Anton Joly who has provided support to TIK on the Stalingrad series. Anton's Stalingrad Battle Atlas is excellent (all four volumes!). Very well worth watching his videos. As a non-French speaker, I was always impressed by Anton's presentation style. He has now got a Australian chap to do the voice overs which is great, but I became very fond of listening to Anton.

Tank Archive: This blog is excellent! I mention it in the context of the above sites because because I have been drawn to it by looking up things on the Red Army. This is a blog new to me bit not to others, there are some familiar names appearing in the comments. The best thing about this blog, apart from the very high level of technical knowledge shown by the blogger (I couldn't find his name, sorry) is that the material is from primary historical documents. Very very good stuff. 

5 comments:

  1. Great links thanks.
    TIK is great - certainly informed me with regard to eastern front and oil connection in ww2 - which we 'sort of' think we know, but don't realise how critical it all was to German war effort.
    Also loved his work on Market Garden - really informed my opinion with regard to Nijmegan's importance in the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, OT! Just what i needed - another awesome eastern front / stalingrad channel to watch! I love the Stalingrad Battle Data channel. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi DF, no problem, well worth investing time and beer in this one!

    Cheers

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Duc,

    Yes the Nijmegan issue is certainly very interesting.

    I'm afraid TIK has got me looking at books on oil, coal and the Reichsbahn, never thought I'd want to do that!

    Cheers

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to the pointer to TIK.

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete