Sunday 26 November 2017

Norm is spending my money again.....

or is he?




I have been thinking about Xmas and what exciting things I might like to buy for myself (sorry Santa!). Norm has just reviewed the latest version of the LnL Tactical Starter Kit. Like his review of Tank on Tank from LnL, which finally switched me on to the very interesting aspects of that tactical system, I have finally been convinced that LnL Tactical is something I should try out. 

I played Squad Leader in the dim and distant but avoided ASL and also Combat Commander and most of the other tactical games. I have always had my eye on LnL because I'm interested in their Mogadishu game and their Libya expansion. Norm's review has convinced me to take a closer look.

The starter kit has been free in the US (only paying postage). It has been in some of the one-line shops for less than a tenner but a little trawl today produced none in stock anywhere. I have checked Wargames Vault for a PnP version and, to my surprise, realised I had already downloaded the two starter sets that now comprise the latest printed version. These are on Wargames Vault for £0, a real bargain for a couple of decent little games. I just need some time to set them up and play them!

A few other things have popped up recently (ooer Matron!) which may be of interest:



  • Dadi and Piombo the Italian publishers of Impulse and Basic Impulse have just released a small game version called Basic Battles. This is an adaptation of Basic Impetus for periods from the ECW to Colonial Wars. It is on Wargames Vault for £0. Grab a copy now!!!! Who needs Black Friday!
  • High Flying Dice Games have got something interesting in development, a small game on the Fulda Gap called Land of Confusion. Nuff said (thoughts of Wurzburg and the Fulda Gap game).
  • Real Time Wargames, the rather unusual (quirky?) rules producers, now have a game on the Italian Renaissance. It uses squares and includes a campaign. It is £25 but looks very, very interesting. 
  • The magazine Counter Fact has released a solo game on the current real world ISIS problem in Libya. I have read some reviews of this and it looks like a good solo system. Wargames Vault for $14.95.
  • Last but not least, Lou Coatney had released another free PnP game on NW Europe this time it is Market Garden (Eagle Attack). One for a rainy afternoon perhaps, very printer friendly!
Lots to be getting on with then! Next jobs are finishing Ground Zero and starting a new project on Kursk to be called Steel, Steel, Steel! This will be small, area based and probably solo with the player taking charge of the 4th Panzer Armee. Such fun.

4 comments:

  1. Hope the starter L'nL module works for you, I have had a good time with it. The Basic Battles looks worth a punt (it would be rude not to!).

    Kursk sounds interesting. Flying Pig have just announced a Kursk module for their platoon system. The below link shows some kickstarter maps (scroll down) and the video clip show game components ... eventually after the war footage.

    LINK - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408460255/the-battle-of-kursk-fast-and-fun-ww2-platoon-level

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through Norm's reviews, I was convinced to pick up ASL Stater Kit #1. Id LnL SK far behind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Norm, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of Platoon Commander. I think its a great system (based on Sticks and Stones and Poland Strikes). It is also really simple which suits me! I'm hoping to pick up the Kursk game before Xmas.

    Hi Jonathan, I think LnL Tactical is sufficiently different to ASL to be worth a try. The volume of stuff available for LnL Tactical is huge so I'd be sorry to miss out.

    Cheers

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like the sound of the Lock and Load series...have to try it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete