Friday 24 March 2017

More grid stuff.....

and even more scum than I was expecting!

A couple of interesting things have come-up....

Nice hat!
Rommel: A new set of rules from Sam Mustafa. The two best things about this are that the game covers more than just N. Africa and that it is an operational game using a grid! The squares are 6", representing 1km across. On a 6 by 4 table this gives 12km by 8km and allows one to two divisions a side in battalion sized units. Teaser material is now available on Sam's website and he has gone into some detail about the game in a recent podcast.


Scum of the Earth: I have mentioned the beta version of this before. The beta version was badged as an AWI/Napoleonic small battles game on a 2 by 2 board. The final version has now been published. What is great is that it contains period specific rules for:
English Civil War, Seven Years War, American Revolution, Napoleonic Wars, First Schleswig War, Crimean War, American Civil War, Second Schleswig War, Austro-Prussian War, Colonial battles, Franco-Prussian War, Spanish American War, Russo-Japanese War and 1914. 
That is quite a bit more than I was expecting and is most welcome. All for $12.99. There are some really interesting mechanisms in these rules and I'm keen to give them a go. 

How can anyone say this is not a golden age!

4 comments:

  1. I used to have one of those hats only in a sand colour with a brown hat band. It was given me by an 'uncle' who served in the desert and claimed to have found it.
    I joined the army in '64 and on my first leave came home to find that my mother had thrown it away (and my teddy bear); no sentimentalist was my mum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - grids are becoming more mainstream, we need to keep up the fight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've helped playtest *both* of those sets of rules :) Rommel has been through a lot of iterations to get where it is today, and is a lot of fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys,

    Thanks for your comments. I used to have genuine British and German steel helmets 30 years ago. Now long lost, somewhere in Newcastle of all places!

    Grids are cool indeed. Rommel, like all of Sam's games, looks very well thought out, I'm glad its fun as well. That is the main thing.

    Cheers

    Jay

    ReplyDelete